It was a good day for me. Chuck went to his sisters (even though he was supposed to be at my family's this year - that's a rant for another time), and Bink and I went to my brother and sis-in-laws home. Lorrie and I went out to lunch while Bink helped cousin Megan make the meal. I just dropped off my oyster stuffing and ingredients for the stringbean casserole. I also baked a pumpkin pie, but that ended up not being eaten because they already had puppy chow that my nephew Craig and his girlfriend Anna brought (recipe later), an apple pie, and another pumpkin pie.
After our little lunch, we traveled to the cemetery to visit Lorrie's mom and dad, and my Pop-Pop and Mom-Mom. I also visited my great-Uncle LeRoy and a little boy named Richard Stanton whose grave is across from my relatives. He lived and died on the same day in 1957. It looks like no one ever comes to see him, so I always say a few words to him and clean off his little heart shaped plaque by digging around it so he doesn't disappear under the ground and be totally forgotten.
Leaving the cemetery, we ran a few errands and ended up back home to get ready to eat. We don't play games or whatever, we just eat dinner, watch some football, and Lorrie rented Holiday Vacation for some late night laughs. Dinner was great and it was nice being with family and just hanging out.
I know our holiday would seem so simple to many people out there, but we don't need fancy things or to be occupied by a ton of things to do. Just being with one another is enough.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Besides helping cousin Megan get the feast ready, they made a gingerbread house after dinner. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment