Saturday, October 03, 2009
Scrimmage vs. U of D
We showed up with ten people and they had what looked like twenty-five on their bench. Their average age was 19 and ours is 35 (I throw the curve off...sigh). We lost 3-2 due to Jen's talented stick and a ton of hard work by our team. What should have been a blow out turned out to be a competitive game. Michelle as always dominated on defense and Chris helped dropped back and did really well on D after Ang got slammed and hit the ice looking like a starfish. She banged her neck up bad. My only complaint was the ref not making calls on the other team when he'd make lame ones on us. I had some cow kick my legs out from behind right in front of the ref. No call. I saw Jen get elbowed in the head in front of the ref. No call. I watched Catoia get yanked down behind the net. No call. Sensing a pattern here? The worst call of the night had to be the Hens first 'goal'. It never went in the net. Everyone on our team saw that it didn't go in, but because a few the U of D players raised their arms...you guessed it. The ref called it a goal. I hate it when the refs ruin a game by not calling it the way it should. Pay attention. You're getting paid to do a job, not come out for a Friday night skate and collect a pay check. Other than the suck ass refs, it was a hard skate and a shitload of fun. I got to see some old teammates on and off the ice. And Katie had two of the U of D goals. One was the non-goal, but that doesn't take away anything from what a great player she is. It's not the coaching that's going to win them games, it's Katie's talent. Without her that team would be just an average group of players. It's a shame Katie couldn't go somewhere else in a really big hockey program because she has a ton of talent and would become a standout anywhere she would play.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I stand by the score being 2-2 and it was a tie, not a loss!! I was standing right there (cause of course the player got right past me so I was watching) and that goal hit a post and then dropped in the crease!
As far as Katie's talent, she is a great player no doubt, but I thought their team as a whole was pretty good too. I don't think it was all about one shining star. They had some really good and really fast young girls.
Now as far as our team... we did a great job just getting back on the ice together and made a good game of it. I thought be were going to get crushed by a bunch of speedy young kids, but that just goes to prove that we are way stronger than we think we are. We will have another competitive season and with the new players we have added another level of talent to our game. Looking forward to our first league game next week!!
Post a Comment