Lubby of the Flames had put out an e-mail requesting players for the Flames White team and the Americans needing players for their game today. I volunteered because I love playing and for once I had someone able to watch Bink. :)
I arrive at the rink not knowing who I was playing for and one of the Americans was there and she said play for them. If she didn't grab me and they were short, her team would kill her. ;-)
It's a good thing she did invite me to play on their team because they ended up only having four players and a goalie. With me, that made five skaters and a goalie. That is not a good number to have for a game. No relief, no break, no nothing.
The Flames White team had eight players and a goalie. You would think they'd offer us one of their extra players. Nope. They left us high and dry. Not nice people. So the Americans were a bit tiffed by that and I don't blame them. Come on people. It's a non-league game and it was for fun. Don't make it so hard on the other team.
We were figuring on getting our asses handed to us, but surprise! We won the game two to one! Everyone skated their butts off and Beth our goalie was huge in net. Yes, she's a big woman, but she was mobile and sucked up a ton of shots with her glove.
You would think the Flames would have been a little less aggressive knowing we had to be on the ice the entire game. Nope. They were flying down the ice, hell bent to run up the score. Thankfully all of us, even though we were sucking wind at times, we hell bent on not letting them beat us.
We worked mostly on our defensive play, but when given the opening, the forwards hustled their asses off and got the puck down the other zone. I am so glad I don't play forward. Having to skate end to end constantly would have been draining. As a defenseman, you have basically a set zone that is mostly in the center of the ice and above the top of the circle. I did zip into the deep offensive zone once in a while, but I was smart enough to stay in my area and not burn myself out.
It was really fun getting to finally play in a game with Caroline of the Americans. I really like her and if I hadn't gone to the Flames, I would have tried out for her team. She's not what you would call a star player, but she's someone I'd rather have on the ice with me all the time. When she's on the ice, I know she won't ever give up and is one hundred percent geared to playing her best. I know if something goes wrong, it's not because of her not trying. She never stops moving, she's always upbeat. She's my kind of player and I wish she were on my team.
After the game, I sat around and waited for close to two hours for my next game against my old team, the Delaware Bobcats.
No comments:
Post a Comment