Another away game and off I go driving to meet Pam and Mitch at Mitch's house for the road trip up to Bridgewater to play the Wings. Their record this year isn't good, but they're a little chippy, mixed with a few good players, so you know you are going to have a game ahead of you.
I left a little early so I could browse the clearance stuff at the little Joann's down the road from Michelle's house. I got a packet of rub-ons and some sheets of paper for the scrapbook that I'm doing for Bink's preschool class. I didn't want to show up too early like I did for the last trip. Heck, I was even a little late because I didn't bother to check the time as I walked around the store.
We packed all our gear in Pam's van and off we went for another adventure. Yes, it's always an adventure because most of the time the directions we get off the internet aren't all that accurate and they don't take in account a closed road or two. I brought my GPS, which in the past gave us some crazy halfassed directions too. Mitch's paper said take exit nine, the GPS said take exit ten. We took nine and because the paper wasn't specific as to which road to take, we ended up cutting through the Rutgers campus to get to River Road. We used the GPS to direct us through the winding roads and turns. Once we were on River Road, we were back on track and knew where we were.
At the rink we had to park allll the way in the back. It seemed like this was the hot spot for every freaking kid to have their birthday party. So in we drag our stuff and get to the tiny, dingy locker room. We had half an hour to get dressed and yak before the game.
Our locker room was crowded today. We have a roster of sixteen players and fifteen of them were there. When we played on the Grizzlies we never had a roster bigger than fourteen players. Three lines, two sets if defense, and one goalie. Sure that meant we played short if someone couldn't show, but that hardly ever happened because everyone wanted to make all the games and would bust ass to arrange their schedules to do it. Having one goalie meant that if she got hurt, the team was screwed, but it was a chance we took because this way the goalie knew she was playing all the time, not just once in a while. They were always the number one goalie by default. We played hard and had a ton of fun.
Now why may you ask why I'm blogging about the past team setup? With sixteen players you have four lines, six defense, and one goalie. Our backup goalie is one of our defensemen. Speaking as a player on defense, you get cold sitting on the bench with six d. You do your shift, then sit for close to six minutes. You end up being on the ice for maybe three shifts per period. I know I get cold and I'm not as into the game as I would be if I had more ice. When we played those games with only three defense, I was all hepped up and ready to go each shift. I know a lot of players who feel the same way as I do, so I know I'm not bitching, I'm just stating a fact as a player.
Even with our overloaded bench, we still manage to play well. The only reason is because all of us like one another and we love playing the game. The only problem will be at playoffs. You have to be into the game to win those. If you don't get the ice and are cold, that will cause too many on ice problems. We're already planning on how we can make our shifts on d only forty-five seconds so everyone gets out more and doesn't get cold.
Back to the game. We won 3 - 1. There were some questionable calls made again and some non-calls that make you wonder what the refs are doing. We had another loser take runs at some of our players, checking them from behind. No calls were made. I'm like...huh? Since when was it okay for someone to do a full check from behind and you let them skate away with no penalty. And don't tell me the ref might not have seen it when I see the ref standing right there looking at it when it happens. I had clear views of these hits from the bench when it wasn't my shift. It sucks, because when our team barely rubbed someone on the board or lifts a stick, that whistle gets blown. It's very frustrating to have games called like this. Call them fair or don't bother coming to the game. Let someone who wants to be there ref it. If you're there for just the check, it's not fair to the teams playing.
So we leave the game with a win, but most of us are hardly sweating because we didn't skate enough. So what do we do? Yes, we go out to eat at the Houlihan's across from the rink. And that's where I knock over my water and end up having it pour into the head coaches lap. Sorry Paul! Don't bench me the next game please. ;-)
After we all eat, chat and relax, it's back into the van for the long ride home. The traffic in north Jersey sucks to say the least. By the time you get home, you've had a bigger workout as a driver than you did as a player. We say our goodnights and off I go home to get my real workout of the night. Cleaning the living room, putting away dishes, hanging up all of my equipment and throwing my uniform and other clothes into the wash. Thus ends another game day with the Flames.
No comments:
Post a Comment