Saturday, December 27, 2008

December 26th - the Day After


The day after Christmas is always a let down of sorts. The magic of Christmas Day is fading and things will slowly get back to normal. I loaded up Bink and we went to WalMart to get some Christmas stuff half off and that's when it hits you like a slap in the face. People are back to being rude and nasty in lines. The workers have that beat down look again, and you can tell that everyone is there to get as much crap as they can for as little money as possible and if that means yelling at a manager, they'll do it. :-P

I surprisingly only picked up a few things. A little ornament, three Martha Stewart punches, some Christmas scrapbooking ribbon, and some kids foam holiday kits for next year. I really didn't find much of anything, and to be blunt, there's really not a lot that I need or want. My mindset has become one of minimal need and I want to keep it that way. I don't want Christmas or the rest of my life being one of having to keep up with the Jones' or buying things just to have them.

I hit Walgreens and bought one roll of Christmas wrap and the Rudolph video for $5.00. It was still $13.00 at WalMart so I saved big there. I love Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, even though Santa is one nasty bastard, and the reindeer and elves are a bunch of mean spirited pricks to Herme and Rudolph.

Once the shopping was out of the way we headed for my parents house. They had a few presents for Bink to open. They gave her some candies on Christmas and money. Any money we get for her goes directly into her savings account. I want her to have some money when she graduates high school. I also want her to know how to save. When she figures out what money is for, a quarter of it she will be allowed to keep and spend on something she likes, the remainder will go into her savings.

We stayed and played until dinner time, then headed home and played some more. She was so tuckered out that she went to bed by eight-thirty. Chuck and I finally spent some time together. We sat on the sofa and watched the movie Hancock, eating popcorn and chit chatting.

Right after the movie was over, we prepared for bed and snuggled down for a good nights rest.

I wish the spirit of Christmas would last longer. I wish people could be nice all year though like they are at this time of year, but I guess that's what makes this a special time. The change in people and places. The warm, safe feeling you get during the holidays. I'll extend it a bit like I always do. The tree will stay up until after New Years Day. Then the packing up of the holiday begins until next year.

I still say Merry Christmas and let the feeling stay with you the whole year though.

No comments: